RIP CURL SUNSET OPEN 2022 SURF COMPETITION
The tradition of the Sunset Open began in 2010. A surfing event held once a year with 3 reasons in mind:
- To showcase local Emirati and expatriate surfing talent from the region.
- To bring together the world class ocean and beach communities in the UAE.
- To celebrate the sport of surfing (in multiple forms of wave riding) and bring more awareness to the beaches and ocean environment of the UAE.
It has always been held during the UAE’s most wave rich calendar months of February to March with a 5 week waiting period to give us the chance of picking the best weekend of swell in that time frame. Falling in the back half of the winter seasons also allows surfers to have the first portion of winter to shake off summer cobwebs and refine their surfing.
The very first Sunset Open was unsurprisingly held on Dubai’s Sunset Beach. Half a dozen picnic gazebos, a dozen outdoor garden chairs and 20 community volunteers helped put on the events first iteration and instantly became a calendar highlight of the year. It is an event that embodies the spirit of the UAE’s surf culture. Fun waves, good vibes, a close community of familiar faces and a stoke for riding waves on par with the most revered surfing hubs around the globe.
The event has grown leaps and bounds in its national support, production and participation since 2010 (now 100+ competitors across all divisions), and we look forward to its inaugural hosting at the Umm Al Quwain Kite Beach Centre this year in 2022.
A bit of nostalgia below, showing the first ever permit to run the competition back in 2010.
Waiting Period: March 5 - April 3, 2022
- Surf House Dubai will be announcing the weekend, 3-5 days before, where the best forecast of swell would be suitable to run the contest.
- Competition will be 2 days, Saturday and Sunday.
Location: Kite Beach Center Umm Al Quwain
- Though in the past, we've done the contest at the surf spots in Dubai, we are now partnering with KBC to bring you a more organic and relaxed vibe with their venue ambience and of course tried and tested real quality waves.
Divisions: 7 Divisions
- Men's Shortboard
- Women's Shortboard
- Men's Longboard
- Women's Longboard
- Groms Division (12-16 years old)
- Supergroms Division (7-11 years old)
Registration is now open for competitors and spectators. Kindly see links below as competitors and spectators have different ways of registering:
Competitors - those who will be joining the competition will have to register with the below link. Registration includes your slot in the initial heats drawn, goody bag from sponsors, event t-shirt, entrance to venue and food & beverage for each day that they will be in Kite Beach Center UAQ.
Spectators - those who will be coming as a spectator will have to register in advance as entrance slots are limited to a maximum of 300 pax. For registration and more information click the link below.
*Deadline for Registration will be on 2nd March 2022
This event could not have happened without the support of Rip Curl Middle East, Breitling Middle East, RVCA, Skullcandy, Oakley, Hydro Flask, Threefold Foundation, Loud Mood, Mikoko Umm Al Quwain, Rokpool, Sunkiss Skin Care UAE, Carver Middle East, Adaaran Select Hudhuranfushi (Lohis Maldives), Badawii Swimwear, Ohoy Swimwear, Omasi Beach and ZSI Corp.
Many thanks to our partners and venue sponsor Kite Beach Center UAQ.
None of our efforts would come to fruition if it wasn't for the Surf Community in the UAE that has exponentially grown throughout the years ever since we started Surf House Dubai, to all of you, our sincerest appreciation and thanks. See you in the water!!!